WaterAid is the #1 international non-governmental organization exclusively focused on clean water, hygiene and sanitation, and there are 750 million reasons we do what we do. That daunting figure is the number of men, women and children who still do not have clean water close to home.
Since our founding in 1981, we've empowered 26.4 million people with clean water. That's 26.4 million more healthy and independent people in the world. It’s a great start but we have so much more work to do. With your help, we can end the water crisis.
WaterAid America is seeking an energetic Senior Manager, Annual Giving to grow transformational relationships with and support from individual donors through high-impact and positive donor engagement.
The ideal candidate is a digital-first, strategic fundraiser and natural builder who is energized by fundraising as a vehicle for transformation. We’re looking for a strong writer and project manager who knows best practices for building relationships that connect with donors’ values and moves them up the ladder of engagement.
The Senior Manager is expected to take ownership of their portfolio while working in close coordination with Philanthropy colleagues leading Mid-Level, Major Gifts and Planned Giving efforts. The Senior Manager works in close coordination with both the Philanthropy, Communications, and Operations staff to retain, steward and upgrade WaterAid’s growing portfolio of individual supporters. The Senior Manager is also expected to possess strong interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively across teams by adapting their personal style to get the best out of others. To ensure the integrity, security and confidentiality of data under their management, the AGM is expected to exercise sound judgement and champion WaterAid’s values.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone to take WaterAid America’s successful program to new heights while working on one of the world’s most urgent – and solvable - crises.
The Senior Manager, Annual Giving is responsible for growing WaterAid America’s base of committed individual donors by retaining and upgrading existing supporters, growing sustainers, delivering positive and consistent donor engagement, and overseeing day-to-day development operations, systems and processes that support this work. New donor acquisition will be done in coordination with the Digital Marketing Manager. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Connect donors to WaterAid’s mission by developing and project managing the entire giving cycle: create, implement, and evaluate strategies for cultivation, prospecting, segmenting, acknowledgement, recognition and stewardship. Work with Communications team to develop and deliver donor journeys and stewardship.
- Create, implement and maintain a detailed fundraising and retention strategy and calendar and project manage three fundraising campaigns a year from ideation to execution with support from philanthropy and communications colleagues.
- Responsible for delighting our existing donors with regular communications that shows the impact of their gift and keeps them engaged.
- Drive fundraising results by project managing the development and execution of campaigns and appeals: manage external agencies (for example, mailhouse, etc.) as needed; work closely with Communications team to integrate messages across channels; consult and coordinate with colleagues in the US, Canada and UK to leverage resources and share insights for maximum impact.
- Work with the Data & Insight Officer to develop performance indicators, analyze activities and extract performance insights; apply industry best practice and conduct tests to maximize ROI, increase retention and long-term supporter value; ensure data consistency and quality,
- Work with the Philanthropy Coordinator to ensure WaterAid delivers outstanding customer service to supporters and the general public; contribute to organizational processes and policy formulation; document all donor and data processes.
- Manage department budgets and track income, expenditure and performance, with support from Finance and Operations staff.
- Keep up-to-date on fundraising sector developments and opportunities; recommend solutions and lead the implementation of new approaches for donor acquisition and retention.
- Complete special projects, as assigned.
Management and leadership
- Carry out the performance management cycle for direct reports as applicable: deliver regular, prompt, and high-quality feedback; serve as coach and mentor; assess capability gaps and offer opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- Ensure a safe, secure, and legal work environment; model and champion WaterAid’s values; exercise discretion, sound judgement and maintain confidentiality; ensure the safeguarding of organizational assets.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or minimum of 8+ years' progressively responsible fundraising experience
- Experience with monthly giving programs (stewardship, retention and acquisition); as this is an area of priority and growth
- Strong track record writing fundraising materials, for both offline and online audiences
- Demonstrated success meeting annual fundraising targets and leading the execution of high-impact multi-channel campaigns and appeals.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate and implement efficient and sustainable fundraising strategies; ability to set short- and long-term objectives that support organizational goals.
- Strong project management; excellent attention to detail; ability to prioritize, manage and execute numerous projects simultaneously; think proactively and work independently.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, positive and flexible approach to collaborating with remote team(s) and a willingness to support individuals at all levels.
- Strong analytical skills and a proficiency in MS Office (especially Excel) with an appetite to continually learn and grow.
- Familiarity with Raisers Edge, MailChimp or similar CRM.
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally with varied work hours, including some evening and weekend commitments.
Desired skills & experience
- Fundraising experience with a focus on international issues
WaterAid offers a generous vacation and benefits package available to its employees, including:
- Health (medical) insurance (WAA offers several options, ranging from 90-100% employer-paid for you and your dependents), dental & vision insurance (100% employer-paid for you and your dependents), and pre-tax Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for childcare, medical and commuter expenses
- Participation in WaterAid’s 403(b) deferred contribution plan (with personal contributions matched after 1 year of service, up to 5% of gross annual salary).
- Paid time off (PTO) including: 10 public holidays + a ‘floating’ holiday to be used at your discretion; 120 hours of PTO (with new and increased hours awarded annually), and 3 paid days for volunteering.
WaterAid celebrates, supports, and thrives on diversity and difference for the benefit of our employees, our mission, and the communities we serve. WaterAid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
WaterAid is committed to the safeguarding and wellbeing of all individuals, including the people in communities in which we work, staff, volunteers, contractors, and partners. Any form of abuse is not tolerated. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Please submit your CV and cover letter no later than May 15, 2021. Your cover letter should articulate your experience and demonstrated success with the essential requirements above, including relevant leadership and/or management experience.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
Applicants must have US work authorization